Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Movie Eleven: X-Men Origins - Wolverine

OR: That's a few hours i'm not getting back.

Well, that's a bit harsh actually. I liked it.  It was a bit stupid, and a bit too much of a Rom-Com-ish thing, which, well, might be straight out of the comics, but i am feeling too lazy to look up right now - but it really wasn't as bad as i'd been prepared for.  Yes, trash. No, not the worst trash I have ever seen. 

Actually, now I'm curious to know if Wolverine's back story is actually that stupid.  

Elapse time.

I forget how intricate wikipedia entries about pop culture can be.  In this instance, I was unable to establish if, in the film, the story of how he chose the name 'Wolverine' is the same as the comics.  I don't know why the romantic sub-plots tend to irritate me so much, at the moment, but they do.  Gender, again.  In particular, again, the Needing Men to lead the female characters out. Diamond Woman needed Wolverine? I very much doubt this.  Again, with the females (even mutated ones) needing the saving from the males, by the males, of both sides. Again, with male power, female disempowerment, and the empathy placed with the man, who is strong for her, and fights for her, but oh, is she strong enough...? Kerpow.

 The aesthetics of using Five Mile Island pleased me - i really like the way nuclear reactors (or is it the cooling towers?) look.  The cement, the shape, the curves, the brutalist architectural elements - are an aesthetic i like. Pity about nuclear power though.  


Gambit: how great is he?




I Might mean by this 'how attractive is this guy, wow, i think he is almost as attractive than the not-existing Skinny Steve from Captain America who, by the way, really, seriously looks like Ian-my-internet-crush' OR i might mean that it's a terrible shame that an interesting complex, and fan-loved character had been pushed out of all of the movies.  I like Wolverine, but seriously, i think most of us would have preferred some character development over Shirtless Men.  He's also wearing a nice coat here.   


I'm tired and not very good at life this week, so sorry about the shit write up - at least it's a shit write-up of a shit movie.  


I'm thinking of watching either: Kick-Ass or the 2008 version of The Incredible Hulk. OR something... ELSE.  requests taken.

1 comment:

  1. Gambit is the Goddamn Best and it's a tragedy he wasn't in the actual movies more. Or at all.

    on the other hand, at least he was dreamy in this.

    ReplyDelete